Finding a supportive community and feeling comfortable being your truest self are essential to making your college experience the best. Attending college is difficult enough however, being able to have a safe space and the ability to build genuine, supportive relationships will help you succeed and graduate from the college/university you choose to call home. To find more local or community-based resources and organizations available to LGBTQ+ youth in your area contact your school counselor or other trusted school staff.
- Carolina Partners: LGBT Affirming Mental Health Care has a list of LGBT affirming and affordable health care resources for LGBTQIA+ members of our community across North Carolina through the Gender and Sexuality Diversity Initiative (GSDI).
- Equality NC is a state-wide organization dedicated to securing equal rights and justice for LGBTQ North Carolinians from all walks of life.
- Gender Spectrum is an organization working to help others create gender sensitive and inclusive spaces. They provide a wealth of online programs, resources and information that young people, parents and families can use to further their understanding of gender.
- iNSIDE oUT is a Triangle area youth-founded and youth-run LGBTQ social and support network. They hold regular events and programs with youth ages 13 and up (iNSIDEoUT) as well as youth 12 and younger (UpsideDown).
- It Gets Better Project is a nonprofit organization with a mission to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) youth around the globe.
- LGBTQ Center of Durham is committed to improving the quality of life for LGBTQ+ people in and around Durham through programming, resources, networks of support and more.
- LGBTQ Center of Raleigh serves, empowers, and advocates for the well-being of our diverse LGBTQ+ communities in the triangle area and beyond.
- National Center for Transgender Equality was founded in 2003 by transgender activists who recognized the urgent need for policy change to advance transgender equality.
- North Star is Winston-Salem’s LGBTQ Community Center. North Star seeks to empower and enrich the lives of LGBTQ people in the Triad area. They offer various social, support, and educational opportunities for adults and youth.
- PFLAG is an organization that provides support and education for families and allies of LGBT people. Find a North Carolina chapter and see what resources are offered.
- Safe Schools NC is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to creating a safe and positive learning environment for all students and educators in North Carolina, with an emphasis on actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
- SONG (Southerners on New Ground) is a home for LGBTQ liberation across all lines of race, class, abilities, age, culture, gender, and sexuality in the South. They build, sustain, and connect a southern regional base of LGBTQ people to transform the region through strategic projects and campaigns developed in response to the current conditions in our communities.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Help Center/Hotline is an organization that provides peer support, resources, and national hotlines that serve as safe spaces for anything the caller wants to talk about.
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
- Time Out Youth Center is a Charlotte area center where you can receive LGBTQ youth support, advocacy, and opportunities for personal development and social interaction.